7 April 2013

Interview with Cytota

How do you describe a band like Cytota? Brummie? Melodic post-hardcore? Young? Although they are all of the above, I'd like to highlight two missing words which, in my opinion, sum them up most accurately; unashamedly talented. Some may choose to focus on the fact that they have come particularly far for a band of their age and while this may be true, I'd like to point out that their music should be the main thing that matters and everything else, be it their age or their home town, is merely a triviality when listening to their music. Other than that, what I really want to say is that Cytota is a band that is most definitely going to make its mark on the music industry if it hasn't already begun doing so. You better keep your eye on them folks as I'm certain you'll be reading about them in a music magazine near you soon enough. Anyway, enjoy the interview and if you like, you can access their Twitter here and their Facebook here to drop them a like or a follow. The official interview is here.


2. Were you expecting to get as much exposure as you've currently received?
3. How would you describe your genre to someone who hasn't heard it before?
4. As a result, some of the songs on your EP "TheProsecutor" are quite contrasting, for example Scars in comparison to Between Jokers And Jesters. Was this deliberate or were you trying to see what you could naturally create?
5. How young were you when you first started playing in bands?
6. Would you put it down to living in Birmingham, the home of metal, influencing how young you started playing in bands or was it to do with the people around you?
7. Would you say that being in a band from such a young age has had its disadvantages?
8. On the flipside, does it have any unexpected advantages
9. Now tonight, you guys supported Finch at a sold out show at Brixton Academy but it wasn't just a one off as you played last night as well. How do you feel?
10. This isn't the only time that you've supported a band that have influenced you. What would you say has been the best thing about playing all these shows?
11. You guys released your EP The Prosecutor last September.Are there any plans to release an album sometime soon?
12. How do you feel about playing Download as you guys also announced this a couple of weeks ago?
13. Can we expect anything else from you this year? I know you guys talked about the singles but is there anything else?
14. What's your pet peeve?
15. Do you guys have any guilty pleasures that you wouldn't mind sharing?
16. Finally, what's your favourite word?


 

Joby: To be honest, I think it's a bit of both because it is our hobby yet we'd all love it to be our job. There's nothing better than enjoying what you do, enjoying your work. I think to be honest it's always been a dream -  I'm speaking for myself but I think everyone else here agrees as well. 



(Everyone chimes in no)

Youssef: It's such a strange one because if we had set out to do that we'd have not got anywhere. It just happened spontaneously and that's a really cool thing.


Harry: We're really thankful for it as well. I think what some people don't realise is that we notice that we're getting this much attention. Even we, still being basically kids ourselves, like listening to bands and so going in to do gigs is a bit mind blowing.

Youssef: It's a shock.

Harry: Yeah, it's a shock but we're loving it and we hope it carries on.



Joby: Describe our genre? Well..

Youssef: So difficult!

Joby: I don't know. Being a young band, we're developing all the time. The stuff that we're writing at the moment is different to what we've done before.

Youssef: We're the same band but we have matured.

Harry: I think we're always maturing to be honest and I think over the next few years it's going to keep progressing and progressing for us all, individually and as a band.

Joby: So at the moment it's under the umbrella of..

Ryan: Shall we say metal?

Harry: It's under a metal umbrella. It's one of the many options out there.

Ryan: Because we all come from different musical backgrounds. I think that's one of the best things about working with each other because we can all just bring what we've done before and what we've experienced to the table.



Joby: To be honest, "The Prosecutor" is a mix of a lot of different influences because being a young band and just starting out, those songs were the first songs we wrote. We all have different influences and I think it shows our different style, the difference of our music.

Youssef: They all naturally come out. We never set out to write a song that sounds like "this" - we take influence and start writing songs and they naturally progress, naturally develop. For example, one of the new songs we're working on at the moment, I mean how many different versions have we got of that song?

Ryan: Yeah, it's just been reworked and reworked.

Ollie: I think we've settled on a version now though. The thing about "The Prosecutor" is that it shows the way that we've progressed as a band; it's got our work since we've started, all the way to now so it's just got a mixture of everything that we've learnt.


Youssef: Well, me and Harry have been in a band since Year 7 so we must have been 11/12

Harry: I met Youssef back in secondary school and then I met Joby when I was in Year 10 so when I was about 14. We've just been a band since then really.

Ryan: I joined when I was 16 so I'm about a year and a half into the band. When I first started playing in bands, I was in Year 5 so about 9/10 in talent shows.

Ollie: Same age as like me and Joby because we were from the same area as well. We were doing some band stuff and Joby was doing some stuff with other people and it's all just come together now.



Harry: For me, it was more like growing up around music and around other musicians that made me want to do that sort of thing. I don't think it was necessarily to do with where I was from, it was just the surroundings.

Ryan: When I started the band, it coincided with me starting in college at Birmingham so I think moving into that area where the scene is such a big scene, it must have had an influence on me.  I started playing in the band and because the scene is big in Birmingham as well, it's really helped me get into it.

Youssef: The metal scene really thrives in Birmingham.

Ollie :There are a lot of great bands in Birmingham.

Ryan: They're hard working bands.

Ollie: You know, it's so great to be around all these bands.

Joby: Like the guy who was teching for us tonight is in a band that we've played with before. We know a lot of the bands around Birmingham and we help each other out so it's a great environment.

Ryan: Yeah, it's a nice network.

Ollie: One of the first things we said as a band was to try and get into that community really.

Youssef: Like if we came through, we'd all push through together so we'd bring other bands through as well.

Ryan: Like when we did our headline show, giving people the opportunity to support us. We believed in their music and we were like " Yeah, they need that chance."


Joby: Yeah, I think so because when you go on stage say, anywhere, being so young, I mean...

Youssef: First impressions.

 Joby: First impressions are sometimes a big thing, well, always a big thing. Occasionally you get people taking the piss or expecting you to be shit.

Ollie: They're all expecting to see some up and coming great band and some 15 year old kids turn up on stage and they're thinking "What's going on?"

Harry: It's been a big problem as well in terms of touring and recording stuff. For instance, we were supposed to be recording the drums for our two new singles next week but there's just been so many things. If we were older, it just wouldn't be a problem but because we've got college, we're really struggling to find dates to do the next two singles because people are like " No, I've got college going on, I've got this, that and the other" but I suppose when we leave in the summer, we'll be able to do more touring and do what we want. Hopefully, it'll start getting a bit more crazy!

Joby: Stay tuned for the summer.

Ollie: We do our odd dates, you know we've had the headline date, the Rise (To Remain) tour and then odd dates in Birmingham everywhere but we can't get onto a full tour until we're away from college.

Harry: We should be definitely jumping onto a substantial tour before the end of the year which we're so keen to do because it's been over a year since we toured with Rise To Remain. We need it!

Ryan: It is difficult when you're young because you've got all these responsibilities like college and a lot of us work as well and then you go on tour and you're just in the band for like two or three weeks. Then you have to go back to doing all the boring stuff like "I've got to do all my essays," and it's so hard to keep focused on that but our aim is to just get through our education and at the end of that, we can do that as our thing. We don't have to worry about those things anymore.

Joby: Just live and learn.



Joby: Well, the advantages it brings being young is that people are shocked and are like "Oh, he's good," but we don't want it to be because we're young that people are like "Oh, you're really good for your age." We just want to be good.

Youssef: A good band amongst bands.

Ollie: Respected.

Harry: It definitely brings a big advantage though because if you think about it, if you heard a band and then someone turns around and says "Oh, you do know they're all 16," then you'd be like "Oh, oh shit! That's cool, man."

Joby: But we're not 16! We're 17, 18.



Youssef: We played in Birmingham yesterday which was awesome.

Ryan: It was nice because it was our own town as well.

Ollie: It was incredible to play with a band of that size and calibre. To be playing Brixton itself, well not many bands ever get that opportunity.

Joby: As I said onstage, it was a dream for all of us. If you ask a lot of bands what do you want to achieve as a band, a lot of them will say I want to play Brixton Academy.

Harry: It's like While She Sleeps have only just played it and they've been pretty big for the past 4 years so for us to all of a sudden to be told " Guys, in three weeks you're going to be playing Brixton," it was like what.

Joby: I was smiling for days.

Ryan: Just to put it into perspective we'd been going to each other close up "Man, we're playing Brixton in like so many days" and then we'd just be like counting down.

Joby: Getting permission from college was one of the funniest things because it was like "Why are you going to miss two days?" "I'm playing Brixton Academy."


Harry: I dunno. It's one of these things, like the Finch dates, I don't know about you guys but when you're all here, you're thinking before "Oh my God, I'm playing with Funeral For A Friend, I'm playing with While She Sleeps" but then when you get there, you realise that they're all just normal guys and they're all really nice.

Youssef: It's quite humbling.

Harry: Yeah, so it's like if you say to them "I've loved your music for years," sometimes they feel quite awkward because they're not expecting it.

Ollie: We've been really lucky with a lot of the bands that we've played with. Everyone's been so nice to us. We've fortunately managed to play with a lot of decent sized bands to be honest.

Youssef: Bands that we love. Bands that we listen to, like genuinely I have them on my iPod. Like I'll be at home, listening to their music and then the next day, I'll be playing a show with them. It's kind of surreal, like what's going on!



Joby: Well, I think an album is inevitable at some point.

Harry: It's on the horizon.

Joby: We're going to do the album at some point but there's no date as of yet.

 Harry: At the moment we've just done a deal with Sony which we're massively stoked about and at the moment we're doing these two singles, one that we're releasing in mid-May to coincide with Download and then one to the end of the year. Then December through to January we'll hopefully be writing the album and it'll probably be out summer next year or something. It's quite a way off but we're going to be bringing out things to keep it exciting and to keep stuff fresh.



Joby: Oh man, I'm absolutely stoked.

Ollie: For me I've never even been to a full festival so to be playing Download as my first festival.

Ryan: It's incredible.

Ollie: It's mental.

Harry: Download's always been just one of those things where it's like... I don't know, it's Download!

Youssef: Prestigious. So prestigious. I think if we weren't playing I'd be buying tickets anyway so to be playing is again surreal as I said earlier.

Joby: There's so many bands that we love as well like I've never seen Jimmy Eat World live. I love that band and I've never seen them live before and I'm so stoked to go see them. So many amazing bands are playing so I'm just going to have a fucking hell of a time!


Ollie: I think it's going to depend on this year goes really, until we urgently release anything big.

Joby: As far as releasing stuff and like the stuff we do, we just get told.

Youssef: We have a vague plan.

Harry: It's not that we get told, it's more like we come to them with an idea and they're like "Ok then, it's a good idea if you release it here because of blub blub ba" but for the next single we are doing a music video for it. As of yet, there are no teasers to that or anything.

Joby: If you like the stuff by Cytota already, you'll like this track too.

Ryan: It's going to be really exciting stuff as well because it's Cytota but it's developed.

Harry: It's a level up.

Joby: I've never been so excited genuinely,  like I've never been so excited about going into the studio and recording a track before in my life.



Joby: People who walk on the wrong side of the escalator, no stand on the wrong side of escalators. In the morning it's the worst thing ever. I go to college in Birmingham with Ryan and Ollie and I have to get a train every morning to New Street in Birmingham and there's always some dickhead standing on the wrong side.

 Ryan: So true.

 Joby: I just have to stand there, kind of coughing and they just don't move.

Ryan: It's not got the sign though like on the tube though.

Youssef: To be fair, I didn't know for years that that's the rule. (Cue laughter all around)

Joby: Can we add that Youssef's one of those dickheads.

Youssef: I'm one of those dickheads. I don't have a clue.

Harry: I'd have to say lateness. (Cue knowing laughs) Because I'd like to think I'm a freakishly organised person. At least I'm admitting it!

Ryan: Freak.

Harry: Really, I hate it when people are late. Like if you say be here for that time, it means get here for that time, not 10 minutes after, not 5 minutes after. It means get there for that time!

Ryan: I've been like once, it was because my burger was late.

Harry: If you've got a good reason for being late then it's cool but if it's just like "I got up late", it's like fuck you. Other than that, hipsters.

Youssef: It's not really a pet peeve, it's genuinely an annoyance.

Harry: It's a pure hate!

Ollie: I can't really think of anything off the top of my head, other than when people brush their teeth in front of me. I just don't like that, at all.

Youssef: That was funny on tour, so funny.

Harry: I didn't know that.

Ollie: I don't like people brushing their teeth in front of me, it just freaks me out.

 Youssef: Yeah, that's pretty weird.


Ollie: If we're going musically, I really really like Ellie Goulding still.

Ryan: Oh no! You're going to get ruined for that man!

Youssef: Musically? It's not really a guilty pleasure, probably an unexpected pleasure. I listen to a lot of rap and grime and hip hop and that sort of thing.

Harry: I've got one; I like having a bath. I don't know, I just think they're cool.

Joby: You didn't mention that you like listening to Abba classics while you're in there.

Youssef: Abba classics in the bath.

Joby: I don't know.

Ryan: Busted?

Harry: Stroking cat tails?

Joby: I like My Chemical Romance. That's not really a guilty pleasure but a lot of people would consider it as a guilty pleasure. Especially the fact that " The Black Parade" is my favourite album.

Youssef: No but that genuinely was a sick album.

Ryan: That is a sick album.

Harry: It was amazing.

Joby: I don't know about guilty pleasures...

Ryan: We don't really want to know this!

Youssef: Don't ask you!

Joby: What's a band I like that would be considered a guilty pleasure...

Youssef: Musically it's kind of difficult because it's not really guilt, it's not really guilty.

Ryan: Can I just say I'm a massive fan of The Rolling Stones. (Cue several "What? That's not a guilty pleasure!)

Harry: Who's that woman who sings The Power Of Love?

The next 7 seconds were spent trying to figure out the singer's name until we realised it was Gabrielle Aplin. Unfortunately, my ears weren't able to comprehend what was going on at the time as all 6 of us were talking all at once. What I can say is that in those seven seconds, there was a lot of talking, finger snapping and someone started singing. Make of it what you will.

Harry: Gabrielle Aplin, yeah, that's the one.

Ryan: She's hot.

Harry: Chills me out in the bath.

Ryan: That's a cover you know, though?

Harry: Yeah, I know. From Frankie Goes Hollywood.

Joby: Oh, guilty pleasure! I love that programme "Real housewives of Beverly Hills".

Ryan: Oh my God.

Joby: It's fucking awesome. It's just so funny though, you wouldn't expect it. They're just such dicks. It's amazing. You just sit there watching like wow.

Ollie: So do you enjoy watching it or do you enjoy laughing at it?

Joby: Oh, I enjoy laughing at it.

Ollie: There you go.

Youssef: But he also enjoys watching it.

Ryan: I enjoyed every series of Diary of a call girl. What can I say.

Youssef: Is that the sexy one though?

Ollie: Yeah, it's the one with Billie Piper.

Youssef: She's very sexy though. (Everyone agrees.)


Ryan: Fitzjellywobble. (At Joby) It's your second name!

Joby: He only said that because we recently had to do a college assessment. They were recording it and we had to say our names to make it valid. He was like " Right, go round in a circle." "Ryan Hamilton." "Joby Fitzjellywobble." I kept a straight face.

Ryan: Now it's on loads of pieces of work; his name is Joby Fitzjellywobble.

Youssef: I've got one. A shout out to mine and Harry's mate Jonny who's favourite word is probably credentials. It's like the ingredients to something, like have you got any credentials?

Harry: I've got a couple. Firstly jokes. And then, more recently, keen. Like I'm so keen. Before I thought being keen was a bad thing but it's not a bad thing man. When you're keen, life's good, man.

Ryan: See, I thought I had a good vocabulary but when I'm put on the spot, I find it really hard to think of words.

Ollie: Well I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm pretty basic with my language.

Joby: We've booked so many restaurants under the name Fitzjellywobble.

Ryan: Infinitesimally. It means very very. Like infinitesimally small. Such as Ollie is infinitesimally small.

Ollie: I don't even know what that means so I'm cool.

Joby: I think recidivist maybe as well for me because of our song Recidivist. The name came from when I was at school and the teacher called me a recidivist and I was just like what the fuck does that mean?! And he told me; it means a repeat offender. I thought it's a cool word, I'll use it in a song. Middle finger up to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment